NJ Gov. "Crisco" Christie is providing more ammunition to LaRouche candidate Diane Sare's campaign to unseat him next year. The obese Governor, after giving the millions of victims of superstorm Sandy nothing but handshakes from him and his pal Obama, has finally offered them something concrete — an emergency increase in their property taxes.
Christie said that while federal aid will cover much of the cost of rebuilding infrastructure damaged in the storm, some towns will need to exceed a 2% property tax increase limit, the Bergen County Record reported Wednesday. The 2% limit was established by law, but it contains an exception that allows towns to raise revenues to deal with emergency situations.
Christie said most New Jersey residents are reasonable, and "they'll be happy" to pay the extra taxes if the money is spent "reasonably and responsibly."
At least one mayor didn't agree. Little Ferry Mayor Mauro Raguseo said it was unfair to slam hard-hit storm victims with higher assessments to cover the clean-up. Raguseo said that he, like other mayors around the state, plans to seek 100% reimbursement for storm clean-up and repair costs. The government's usual limit is 75%, but, he said, the other 25% would total in the millions and would not be affordable.