According to Associated Press, the CIA station chief in Libya filed a detailed report to Langley headquarters within less than 24 hours after the Sept. 11, 2012 Benghazi attack, which accurately described the incident as a premeditated terrorist attack by known terrorist networks. While AP was not able to confirm how high up in the CIA headquarters the memo reached, or whether anyone at the White House was briefed on the report, experienced intelligence veterans have all told EIR that any such memo would have immediately gone to the Director and he would have passed it immediately on to the White House. "The top CIA official on the ground in Libya files a report to headquarters, following the murders of an American ambassador and three other diplomats; there is no doubt it would have gone right to the top."
AP received details of the CIA cable from two unnamed U.S. officials. According to the AP story, "The two US officials said the CIA station chief in Libya compiled intelligence reports from eyewitnesses within 24 hours of the assault on the consulate that indicated militants had launched the violence, using the pretext of demonstrations against US facilities in Egypt against the film to cover their intent. The report from the station chief was written late Wednesday 12 September and reached intelligence agencies in Washington the next day, intelligence officials said."
As EIR has reported for more than a month, its own U.S. intelligence sources had provided a detailed briefing on the morning of Sept. 12, based on exactly the kind of eyewitness and Libyan diplomatic sources referenced in the CIA station chief's memo. Yet President Obama and his top White House aides were so committed to defending the President's campaign claims that, with the killing of Osama bin-Laden, Al Qaeda had been crushed, that they ignored the early intelligence to fabricate a cover story about a spontaneous protest riot that was later proven to have never occurred in Benghazi.