Rex Ubben, the father of the personal security guard of the assassinated Ambassador Chris Stevens, said Wednesday that the State Department should admit its mistakes and release information about what occurred. Ubben's son David was injured in the deadly attack, and is now at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, where he is expected to remain for several months as a result of five or six broken bones, and shrapnel wounds over much of his body.
In an email interview with Reuters, Ubben, a 24-year Air Force veteran, said, "I do find it troubling that they have not owned up to their shortcomings," according to an NBC account of the interview. "If you were in charge, it was your fault." Ubben noted that his son said the assault on the consulate was "obviously an attack and not a riot," as the Obama Administration maintained for nearly two weeks.
Ubben's comments followed calls in Congress for more information about the bare-bones security arrangements at the Benghazi Consulate where Stevens was killed. Ubben said that it is understandable that "mistakes and lack of foresight do happen," but, "to attempt to delay or cover information up, upcoming election or no, might put other people's lives at risk and fools no one."
Only hours after the Benghazi attack, according to three government sources cited by Reuters, the Obama administration received about a dozen intelligence reports indicating the involvement of militants connected to al Qaeda. Despite these intelligence reports, for nearly two weeks, top U.S. officials, such as U.S. Ambassador to the UN Susan Rice, emphasized only intelligence coherent with the Obama administration claim that the attacks were spontaneous protests against an anti-Muslim film, and downplayed the involvement of organized militant groups.
U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said Thursday, in Washington, DC, that he is "satisfied with the progress" the Justice Department has made in its investigation into the attacks on the Benghazi consulate. Holder was giving a Medicare fraud press conference, but a reporter questioned him on the slow status of the Benghazi investigation, in particular, Federal investigators not even getting to the scene.
Yesterday, media reported that FBI agents finally were in Benghazi Wednesday, for 12 hours, for the first time since the attack. They had been in Tripoli since the day after the attack.
Also Wednesday, two Tunisian suspects in the killing of Ambassador Stevens and three colleagues were arrested at Istanbul's Ataturk airport, according to reports from Turkey.
The latest charge by Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah), who is leading a House investigation on the Benghazi attacks, is that in the six months prior to the 9/11/2012 attacks, the State Department had reduced the number of trained Americans guarding U.S. facilities in Libya. Documents found at the consulate by a Washington Post reporter, according to a Post article Wednesday, indicated that obviously concerned consulate personnel, based on previous attacks on the consulate and other western diplomats, and based on their recent monitoring, had communicated with 17th February Martyrs Brigade, a Libyan-government-approved militia. The American quick reaction force (QRF) would request additional support from the Brigade in the event of attack.