Mofaz, Israeli TV Warn About Netanyahu's Plan for Unilateral Attack on Iran
July 24, 2012 • 8:05AM

Israel's Channel 2 TV has been reporting that one of the most serious reasons for Kadima Party Vice Prime Minister Shaul Mofaz leaving the Netanyahu government earlier this month was over Bibi's planned unilateral strike against Iran, reported the Times of Israel, a 2012-created publication that includes former Mossad chief Ephraim Halevy on the Editorial Board. Halevy not only opposes an Israeli strike on Iran, but has said that Israel's "ultra-Orthodox radicalization" poses a bigger existential threat to the nation than Iran.

At a July 23 press conference, Mofaz told reporters that "Kadima will not set out on operational adventures that will endanger the future of our young women and young men and the future of the citizens of Israel in the State of Israel," reported the Times of Israel.

The Times also said that Channel 2's conclusion was that the rift between Mofaz and Netanyahu was very deep on Iran, especially since Attorney General Yehuda Weinstein advised Netanyahu that he could not launch an attack without a "majority in the full cabinet."

The threat of an attack on Iran was very much at the center of Netanyahu's July 22 appearance on Fox News Sunday, where he blamed Iran for the attack on Israelis in Bulgaria, and threatened retaliation. On July 23, an effort by Netanyahu to split Kadima in the Knesset by pulling out 4 members fell apart — a party split by law needs 7 members and Bibi couldn't pull it off.