Rep. Tim Scott (R-Ga.) said on July 5 that if President Obama should invoke a clause in the 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution in order to bypass Congress and borrow beyond the debt limit, he would consider that an act worthy of impeachment. "This President is looking to usurp Congressional oversight to find a way to get it done without us. My position is that is an impeachable act from my perspective," Scott said at a Tea Party-related meeting. Rep. Pete Olson (R-Tex.) later told an interviewer that Scott's "is not a lonely voice," and that others are also discussing impeachment.
What Obama and Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner are in fact doing, is using the threat of default, or of preventing default by using Clause 4 of the 14th Amendment, in order to protect London's and Wall Street's illegitimate debt. Obama and Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner have done everything in their power to oppose the Constitutional method of dealing with the debt—the restoration of Glass-Steagall—and are instead using the threat of default to ram through killer austerity, in violation of the Constitution's commitment to the general welfare.
This is but the latest in a long series of impeachable offenses committed by Obama:
- Most recent is his flagrant violation of the U.S. Constitution and the War Powers Resolution by deploying U.S. armed forces and conducting war against Libya without Congressional authorization or a declaration of war. Indeed, Obama has insisted that a United Nations resolution authorizing "humanitarian intervention" is a higher authority than the United States Constitution.
- Already in April 2009, Obama was engaging in actions to destroy the sovereignty of the United States, when, at the London G20 meeting, he agreed to actions, including the expansion of "Special Drawing Rights," which gave the International Monetary Fund increased power over the economy of the United States and other sovereign nations.
- Obama's shutdown and destruction of the NASA manned space flight program, on behalf of the British, was what triggered Lyndon LaRouche's first formal call for the impeachment of Obama, in February 2010.
- Obama's health-care plan, modeled on Hitler's T-4 policy, in its scheme to deny medical care and treatment to certain categories of people, constitutes a crime against humanity under the Nuremberg Principles to which the United States is bound by law and treaty.
- Obama's violation of the separation of powers, by means of unilateral executive actions, in violation of U.S. law including treaty law, has exceeded even that of George W. Bush and Cheney in many respects.
- He has continued the use of signing statements, and has made dozens of appointments of special "czars" and recess appointments, to circumvent Congressional oversight and the Senate confirmation process.
- He has expanded domestic surveillance and wiretapping, has continued the use of abusive detentions and interrogations of prisoners taken in the "war on terror," and he has expanded the use of targeted assassinations, including claiming the right to kill American citizens abroad without any due process.
- He has effectively legalized torture and prisoner abuse in violation of U.S. law and treaty obligations, by directing his Justice Department to cover up hundreds of cases of abuse and torture and even deaths, from the Bush-Cheney years.